Thursday, March 14, 2024

Sunday, March 17, 2024 The Fifth Sunday of Lent

☘️. Today is, of course, St Patrick’s Day, which is more than a day for a parade or a party (or green beer?). It is a day to reflect on the spiritual meaning and impact of St Patrick and the heritage of the Irish church. 

This week also, for Muslims, the month of Ramadan begins, when faithful Muslims who are able, fast from food and water for the daylight hours, and usually gather in the evening hours to share food and celebrations. Ramadan Mubarak! 

Ooops! I seem to have forgotten PIE Day. March 14 (3.14) which was  celebrated as a Public, Intentional, and Explicit inclusion of 2SLGBTQ community members. Did you have pie to celebrate? 

Hymn      Love Divine #333VU


Prayer:  God be in our heads and in our understanding. 
God be in our eyes and in our seeing. 
God be in our ears and in our listening. 
God be in our mouths and in our praying. 
God be in our hearts and in our loving. 
God be in us, in our living and our serving, this day and every day. Amen. (based on a blessing attributed to St Patrick.) 

Scripture Lessons:     Jeremiah 31:31-34

                                   Psalm 51:1-12 p. 

                                   John 12:20-33

Hymn       O Love that wilt Not Let Me Go #658VU

Message



Prayer:  I arise today through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity, through belief in the Threeness, through the confession of Oneness of the Creator of creation. 

… I arise today, through the strength of heaven, the light of the sun, the radiance of the moon, the splendour of fire, the speed of lightning, the swiftness of wind, the depth of the sea, the stability of the earth, the firmness of rock. 

…I arise today, through God’s strength to pilot me, God’s might to uphold me, God’s wisdom to guide me, God’s eye to look before me, God’s word to speak for me, God’s hand to guard me, God’s shield to protect me, God’s host to save me from snares of devils, from temptation of vices, from everyone who shall wish me ill, afar and near. 

…Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christwhen I sit down, Christ when I arise, Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of everyone who thinks of me, Christ in every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me. 

I arise today through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity, through belief in the Threeness, through confession of the Oneness of the Creator of creation. Amen. 

Hymn      Be Thou My Vision # 642VU



This Sunday there will be a 9:30 service in Howick and a 11:00 service in Ormstown. You are invited to wear green to celebrate St Patrick’s Day. 
Next Sunday will be Palm Sunday and there will be a change to our usual worship schedule, to allow all three churches to hold a Holy Week service. On March 24th, Palm Sunday, there will be services in Franklin at 9:30 and Ormstown at 11:00. Howick will host a combined Easter Sunday service at 11:00. All these services will include the sacrament of Communion. 

St Paul’s Stewards will be meeting on Wednesday, March 20th at 7:30pm in the hall. 

In Howick the work on renewing the church heating system and environmental footprint will be beginning this week. As a result, the Pancake Lunch will need to be delayed. We will let people know when we are able to reschedule this event. 



No comments:

Post a Comment