Saturday, November 14, 2020

Children’s Sabbath, November 15, 2020

 Another week gone. I hope it has gone well. We continue our journey through this pandemic year, and we continue to trust and believe that God is with us as our strength and hope. In this faith we continue to praise and worship God. 

Hymn    Immortal, Invisible #264VU


Scripture Lessons:   I Thessalonians 5:1-11

Psalm 123 p.847VU

Matthew 25:14-30

Hymn      Jesus Bids Us Shine #585 VU



Message



Prayer: O God, we continue to live in these in-between-times: between Thanksgiving, Remembrance Day, and Christmas; between harvest and winter; between normal times and crisis. Help us, in these in-between -times to continue to be faithful: to be thankful even in difficult times; to remember the sacrifices of others; and to be ready to live and serve as your servants and your people each and every day. Help us to overcome our fears and to be daring and courageous Christians, following in the way of Jesus who surprised the people around him with his stories and teachings and his willingness to reach out to those that others too often overlooked, ignored, or forgot. We pray for the children in our midst, that they may not be overcome with fear but know that safety and security that you intend for all your children. Bless us with your Spirit that we may live and serve in your way all the days of our lives, even in uncertain times. Amen

And in the spirit of this week’s reading from I Thessalonians, a prayer written by our Moderator, the Right Reverend Richard Bott, which you may have seen before: Creator, as I prepare to go into the world, help me to see the sacrament in the wearing of this cloth— let it be “an outward sign of an inward grace”— a tangible and visible way of living love for my neighbours as I love myself. Christ, since my lips will be covered, uncover my heart, that people would see my smile in the crinkles around my eyes. Since my voice may be muffled, help me to speak clearly, not only with my words, but with my actions. Holy Spirit, as the elastic touches my ears, remind me to listen carefully— to all those I meet. May this simple piece of cloth be shield and banner, and each breath that it holds be filled with your love. In your name and in that love, I pray. May it be so. May it be so. 

Hymn.     This Little Light of Mine


For members and adherents of Howick United Church, this is the time to apply for the Howden-Templeton bursaries, if you are a Cegep or university student. The application is on the website and the deadline for applying is December 1st. 

Grace Brown would like to let people know that if they would like to make a donation to Howick United Church’s Memorial Fund, you can send it to the church at 2 Bridge St, Howick, QC or directly to her as well. These donations need to be made by the end of the year so Grace can close the books. 

Also, the Rudolph Run will be virtual this year. You choose the day, time, distance, and place between Friday November 27th to December 3rd. And you can also wear some green or red during your walk/run to bring a little brightness in a dark season. The donations will go to La Bouffe Additionelle in Huntington. There will also be a drop off on Saturday, November 28th between 9 and 11am at the front gate of the Ormstown Fair grounds. Receipts can be sent upon request. More information will be available on the Rudolph Run on its Facebook page which is being set up, or you can call Grace Brown directly. 

Are you knitting for our virtual Mitten Tree? We will be collecting hats, mittens, scarves and gloves for sharing with those who need them. (Bought items are also welcome!)



No comments:

Post a Comment